Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Androgyny

Yesterday I saw the film "Adaptation" (2002) starring Nicholas Cage and Meryl Streep. The film was brilliant. I have never seen a film that can have about four intricate plots and stories and they all seem to work. This film tells the story of a screenplay writer played by Nicholas Cage that is hired to write a film based on the book written by Meryl Streep's character. The book is about orchids.

Ok, so I bet you are wondering why this meant anything at all to me. To start off the orchid is my favorite flower. In the film, Meryl Streep's character is speaking to an orchid expert and he explains to her the origin of the flower. This is what interested me. In the film the orchid expert states that the word orchid comes from the word orchis which in Greek means testicle. This is interesting to me because the orchid is a flower that exudes sensuality and in art is typically portrayed as female genitalia. Therefore this flower has both male and female characteristics and interpretations making it, androgynous.

Anyway, the film is spectacular and I definitely recommend it.

Till Next Time,

Kristina

No comments:

Post a Comment